Thursday, November 4, 2010

Stick-to-it-ive-ness

Sometimes you just have to keep going and keep your goal in mind. I am determined to finish the 2 projects I have been working on this week, no matter what.

Last night I finished quilting "Little Miss Lily Marie", but not without mishaps! Twice when quilting near the edge the excess backing fabric was turned under and got caught in the stitches. After very carefully removing the stitches, thankfully I was able to make it look ok. Then I discovered I was almost out of white thread, but made it right down to the last quilting stitch. I kept stopping to fill the bobbin, trying not to use up all the thread on the spool.



One bright spot in the quilting of this quilt is that my thread didn't break a single time! That is a first and I'm not sure what, if anything, I did differently. I have quilted quilts when the thread broke constantly.

I am trying to branch out into new machine quilting patterns. I love the basic meander stitch I have been doing and have practiced it enough to produce decent results. I thought for this little girl's quilt a looping meander stitch would give it a fun, whimsical touch. The jury is still out on whether or not I really like the way it turned out, but what's done, is done!



After finishing quilting the quilt, my attention then turned to the binding. I wasn't happy with the fabric I originally planned to use, so I looked through my "pink" fabrics and found another one that I thought would look nice. Of course, there wasn't "quite" enough of this one to go all the way around the quilt.

SO.... a visit to the fabric store is in order today to purchase white thread and enough fabric for the binding.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely the best!!!

This quilt is wonderful. I am anxiously awaiting the finished bound result.

Marjorie

Deanna said...

"Done" is such a lovely word! And your results are deserving of "Lovely," too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
The quilt it beautiful! I love the word done! As far as the thread breaking it could be tension setting, an old needle or old thread.
It happens to me also.

Coleen

kim said...

I love the new loopy meandering quilting stitch you've used almost gives the quilt a magical fairytale look....very pretty.

Thanks for the comment......with four sisters in my family, I am the only one who crafts at all, and until I moved next door to Mrs.J. I thought I must be quite odd to get excited about fabrics and yarns, and although she's 75 she's a kindred spirit and such fun. And when I discovered that there was all these talented ladies, creating beautiful masterpieces with fabrics and yarns, and writing about it.........what can I say, it's all so inspiring.
florrie x

Anonymous said...

The quilting pattern you picked looks nice. I love the color and how the quilt looks.

Ruth said...

Beautiful quilt!

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...