Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Grandma's Rose Lives On

My grandmother was a great gardener, quiltmaker and all around great homemaker. I am very similar in the things I love to do. Below is a picture of Grandma with one of her famous rose bushes behind her. Her original gardens don't exist any more, but many of her plants live on in the gardens of her children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and great, great grandchildren.



This is a picture of a cutting I rooted last summer for my daughter. I am very happy that it has several roses on it this spring. I think I finally tracked down the name and some of history of the rose. It was introduced in 1930 and is named "New Dawn". New Dawn is supposed to be a rebloomer, but this one only blooms in May. It has so many roses on it that it makes up for not blooming any more until the following year!

5 comments:

Denise said...

Good Day Debbie,

I too enjoy carrying pieces of history from grandparents. I haved peonies from my husband's grandmother in my garden. I also have her old sewing machine as well as several quilts that she made (probably using that same machine).

Also wanted to let you know that after enjoying your blog I decided to start my own, now I just need readers!

Denise

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb,

Love the history of your Grandma's rose. And, such a nice name.

It is great that you are continuing her traditions.

Marjorie

Little Penpen said...

Beautiful! I want to steal some cuttings from old bushes that I see here and there. Yesterday April and I were in G.boro, and right in the middle of town, there still sits an old vacant house that needs to be torn down. Right beside the road are two beautiful pink rose bushes blooming their little hearts out. I told April we need to go back late at night and cut us a few pieces. :o)

Deborah said...

What a lovely story! I love roses.
My Grandma was wonderful. She sewed, cooked the best holiday meals and was a full-time R.N.
She was the only Christian I knew as a child and is still my inspiration.
Grandma was "rounder" but she looks a lot like your's!

Alexandra said...

She has got an air of confidence about her. What a great picture!I'd love to hear you share more, especially her recipes or gardening tricks.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...