Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Healthy Chicken and Potato Recipes

Yesterday at lunch I went to Food Lion and was shocked to see that 10 pound bags of potatoes were on sale for $1.99. I purchased one bag thinking the sign might be wrong, as well as some boneless chicken breasts that were on sale. Later I saw on Mary Ann's blog that she had also hit this sale and purchased 4 bags of potatoes to store, as well as the boneless chicken breasts that were on sale for $1.79 a pound. Not being one to pass up a great deal, I went back to Food Lion this morning on the way to work and stocked up on both the potatoes and chicken. If you are interested in stocking up on these items while they are on sale, you must go today because the sale ends tonight at midnight!

Now I need to find some healthy recipes as my hubby and I are cutting back on our calories in an effort to shed a few pounds.

Some ideas are: Oven fried potatoes, BBQed chicken and potatoes, baked potatoes with low calorie toppings, grilled chicken in a green salad and I found this recipe on BellyBytes.Com. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like what I am looking for, since there is no added fat, but a great flavor is promised.

Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe

Healthy Potato Recipe


No added fat or salt is used or needed in this tasty potato dish.

Ingredients:
1 pound (about 2 large) potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 cups skim milk
2 large cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon white pepper

Directions:
Cook potatoes, covered, in a small amount of boiling water for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Drain and recover.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over low heat, cook garlic in milk until garlic is soft, about 30 minutes. Add milk-garlic mixture and white pepper to potatoes. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed or mash with a potato masher until smooth.

Microwave Directions:
Scrub potatoes, pat dry, and prick with a fork. On a plate, cook potatoes, uncovered, on 100% power (high) until tender, about 12 minutes, turning potatoes over once. Let stand 5 minutes. Peel and quarter. Meanwhile, in a 4-cup glass measuring cup, combine milk and garlic. Cook, uncovered, on 50% power (medium) until garlic is soft, about 4 minutes. Continue as directed above.

Recipe yields 4 servings of Garlic Mashed Potatoes; serving size is 3/4 cup.

Each serving provides: Calories: 141, Total fat: less than 1g, Saturated fat: less than 1g, Cholesterol: 2mg, Sodium: 70mg

Do you have any ideas for making healthy, low-calorie dishes using potatoes and chicken?

4 comments:

Little Penpen said...

I need to get some of those potatoes today... I want to make Paula Deen's potato and shrimp soup. YUM!

Mary Ann said...

Chicken breasts are a "splurge" for me since they're more expensive than the whole chickens or bone-in pieces. Yet, there are a few recipes that we really like that call for breasts. Chicken breasts are also so easy to use in a pinch. What I do is divide the packs and individually wrap each breast in a plastic bag. Then I just pull out what I need for a recipe. I often cube one piece and saute in my wok, then add stir-fry veggies for a quick and healthy meal! One piece of chicken(cubed or in strips) is plenty for the two of us for a meal.

As far as potatoes, I will make lots of mashed potatoes(these also freeze well), potato soup, baked potatoes, roast them with a roast or chicken.

One of our favorite (and most common) meals growing up was when Mom would brown crumbled ground beef and serve it with either baked or boiled potatoes. We also always had bread and butter pickles with it and then either a salad or a veggie. Simple but very tasty!

Thanks for the link.:-)

Mary L. Briggs said...

All of those sound good! I'm needing some new meal ideas, as I seem to be in a rut! Great deal you got on those potatoes, too!

Anonymous said...

Debbie, you could marinate the chicken breasts - maybe some in a mexican marinade that you could use for tacos or burritos or taco salad (use lower-carb tortillas). Another idea is to marinate some asian-style and you could use those in a stir-fry, which is a lower-calorie meal.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...