Sunday, August 2, 2009

A Time Management Tip - Being Aware of Time

ITS TIME TO CHIME!



Do you really think about what you are doing or going to do, or just do what ever pops up that needs to be done? Are you being carried along with the currents of your day to day life or making some progress toward your dreams?

Instead of saying to myself, "Oh! I need to do the deposit today!", or Oh!, I need to return those library books before I get fines!", I want to know what I'm supposed be doing ahead of time without being in a panic. I often get up at 5:00 A.M. or earlier and then when I need to leave to go to work at 7:30, I wonder where in the world did the time go?

Today I am planning my week which includes a list of things I want to get done and things that have to be done. The beginning of the week is a good time to do some planning. The beginning of a month is also a good time to get motivated about this. Its like a mini-new year's day for new resolutions.

Sunday afternoons are the best time for me to plan for the week and also a good time to organize coupons and a grocery shopping list.

Some of the things on the list aren't that important, such as clean in the bedroom, but help me to focus on something I would like to get done this week. Other things, such as preparing for family member's birthday on Saturday, are more urgent.

Without some kind of plan the time just comes and goes and a week is gone without any real progress except for basic survival!

Here's my list for the week:

1. Daily Devotion and plan exactly what will need to be done that day
2. Work in hubby's and my bedroom (dusting, vacuuming, straightening, etc.)
3. Deep clean/mop the laundry room floor
4. Family member's birthday on Saturday (cake, gift, etc.)
5. Quilt on Spiderman quilt every day (time is getting short!)
6. Work on Fall Pocketbooks
7. Family get together on Saturday
8. Weekly deposit and pay this week's bills
9. Return library books
10. Iron some shirts
11. Make clothespin bags for Etsy Shop
12. Blog Posts

This list could go on and on...., but I can't! So I've tried to only put down the things I think I can make a reasonable attempt to get done or make progress toward.

Having a guide (and its only a guide!) will help me to plug time leaks. I can work a few minutes on some of these things instead of or while watching tv or while something is cooking in the kitchen, etc.

Then at the end of the week I can look back to see how I did!

Won't you join me in making a plan for this week and then working the plan? Don't let time and circumstances control you! Control your time and.... well most of your circumstances.

7 comments:

Keeper of the Home said...

I love your challenge. I have my HMB (Home Management Binder)
http://frugalhomeliving.blogspot.com/2009/07/hmb.html

that I use to help me stay focused and on track -- at least most of the time. There are times when things can completely get off track I admit, but this helps me stay focused on the important things that I need to tend too.

~Mrs.M

Rhonda said...

I love a challenge. I find that I am much more prepared for the week if I have an idea of what's going on. I'll try making a list after morning devotions and see how that goes. Thanks for the challenge. anything that makes the week go smoother.

Rhonda

Anonymous said...

I've been sick so I am trying to catch up. I haven't been very productive so I am working to get a few things done each day and forget the rest right now. If I stay consistent, it will all add up.

Yes, it's so easy for time to just slip away and harder to prevent that from happening, isn't it?

DarcyLee said...

This post is a great motivator. It's important to know and list what should be done. This always helps me,too. Even if I run out of steam before everything gets done, I at least have a goal. Keeper of the Home is right, a list keeps me focused.

Anonymous said...

This couldn't have come at a better time! I have to go back to work tomorrow. :( And yes, its early. Can you tell I'm feeling sorry for myself? ha.

I'll join you and maybe I can keep up with chores. Its always so hard to get back into a routine!

Melinda

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
I am learning to manage my time better and I am getting so much more done.
Thanks for sharing your week with us.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

Colo Junkett said...

It's already August and I was also feeling like I have fallen out of daily routines. Thanks for the challange
Vicki

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...