Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Snow Days in the Sewing Room


We got a much anticipated snowfall yesterday which gave me two more days off work this week. I'm sure I'll be going back to work tomorrow, but I can handle a "two day workweek" any time!

I finished organizing the kitchen cabinets over the weekend, except for a couple of small things.... I need to clean the crumbs from the silverware drawer and the spice cabinet area.

Yesterday and today I am working on organizing my fabric, which is always in a perpetual mess! I've got fabric in boxes, bags, on shelves, in plastic containers and these are scattered into several closets and attic spaces, as well as in my sewing room. I really want to get it all organized and stored in my sewing room so I will know what I have and start SEWING!

I read this article at Quiltville which tells how to fold fabric so it looks pretty on your shelves. Its also very helpful to be able to see what fabric you have at a glance, instead of rummaging through it all the time like I have been doing.

This what some of my folding and sorting looks like so far. I should have taken a before picture!



I'm going to continue working on folding more fabrics today and I also want to sort the different fabrics by color. For example, I have a lot of blue fabric that I want to arrange together. I'll probably arrange all of it by primary colors. I will have groups of blacks, browns, reds, blues, oranges, yellows, greens, purples and neutrals/beige/white. Of course some of them won't fit into any of these colors exactly, so I'll have a floral/odd stack too. All of the denim fabric I have been accumulating by cutting up old jeans and clothing will go in its own stack.

This article at Quiltville describes how Bonnie stores her scraps. So, am ironing any scraps that are at least 12 inches long to be cut into 3 1/2 inch, 2 1/2inch, 2 inch and 1 1/2inch strips. I will store these into plastic drawers or shoe boxes by size and also by lights and darks. This will help me be able to spend more time sewing in the future because my scraps will be organized and ready to go.

I am storing each of my UFOs in a zip lock bag or plastic storage box, along with the fabrics needed to complete them.

Well, I gotta go get to folding, ironing and cutting!

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

hope you really enjoy your snow days!

I folded my fabric like you are doing a while back and I love it, it is so easy to see what you have.

Wendi said...

I found your blog through MaryAnn's House. I have been in the organizing mode also. Your cabinets and fabric look great! Great job!!

~JoAnn~ said...

I am so glad I came here. I am going through and organizing my craft room and was wondering what to do with the fabric. This is a wonderful Idea..I do have a question for you, what if you have fabric that was washed when I bought it but is no so wrinkled, should I rewash it and then iron it right before I fold it???Do you think that would help. I tried just ironing some of it and it just won't come out with no wrinkles, they are smaller but not gone..Anyway I was just curious what your suggestion would be..
Thanks again for the folding info..
Blessings,Joann

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...