Sunday, November 9, 2008

Roasted Pecans



We have 4 small pecan trees on our property, but haven't had any pecans to speak of for 3 or 4 years. Finally, this looks like its going to be a good pecan year! My husband has been picking up the ones at home as well as the ones near his office.

Being the frugal husband that he is, he noticed that pecans were falling from the huge old trees in the yard of his office and that people were just driving on them and ruining them. So he asked the owner if he could pick them up "on halves". In the country that means that the land owner lets him pick them up and she gets half of what he picks up. We have a pecan pick up tool and he has been leaving for work a few mintues early to get the nuts before they are driven over.

In the grocery store pecans are about $8.00 a pound, if they are already shelled. The picture above shows some pecans my husband has cracked and will now pick out of the shells while watching football.

If you have access to some inexpensive or free pecans, this is a recipe for roasted pecans that is one of the best things I ever make, especially around Thanksgiving and Christmas. When we have a good pecan year I like to roast them and give them as gifts. One year I bought pint jars with ring lids. I cut Christmas fabric into circles which fits under the lid and makes a pretty and tasty gift. These were a hit with the people who received them.

ROASTED PECANS

Melt one stick of butter or margarine in a saucepan. Add one pound (3 or 4 cups) of shelled pecan halves and swirl them until they are well coated. Spread out on a baking sheet and bake at 250 degrees for 30 minutes or until the nuts begin to toast through and turn a darker shade of brown. Drain on paper towels. When they have cooled a bit sprinkle with salt to taste and when thoroughly cooled, store in tightly covered jars or tins.

I have plenty of pint jars and have saved some pretty Christmas tins from years gone by to store my roasted pecans in. Can't wait to get that first batch done!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful that your dear husband is getting those for you. Yes, they are very expensive in the stores! I just bought 2 tiny bags to make pecan pie for Christmas as I couldn't justify spending such an amount on a larger bag of pecans.

I do something a little similar except I make candied spice pecans, they are glazed and sweet, but oh so good!

What a nice gift to give to others.

Little Penpen said...

Yum! We used to have a huge pecan tree when my kids were small. We spent a lot of time picking them up (we had the handle thing too). There was a small business near us that would actually crack them for us... we could either pay in cash for the service or we could pay in pecans. We have a newer pecan tree at the house we live in now. This is the first year we have seen any nuts from it... husband brought in two this weekend. I'm looking forward to a bountiful supply one year.

Anonymous said...

You make my mouth water, Debbie! We must start picking out pecans soon. We have right many in the freezer. We have been buying them from Elsie for several years. Tal-
madge has found that if you freeze them first, they are easier to get out of the hulls in whole halves. He cracks them, and I pick them out. It takes a lot of them for the fruit cakes and other dishes that we like to bake and share. I hope that Blake gets lots for you.

mljw

Terri said...

I love pecans! I especially like 'em if they are free. ;-)

*carrie* said...

Debbie,

That's so great you're gleaning pecans right in your own backyard! Those would make a yummy Christmas gift.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...