Monday, May 19, 2008

A Monday Minute

Its Monday again....

We had a nice weekend which included our first fresh potatoes of the year from my mother's garden.....



My brother planted the garden for her and plows it. She tends it as much as she can with a walking cane, one of those with the 4 little feet that keep it from falling over. She positions plastic yard chairs throughout the garden to sit in when she needs to.

She has been working especially hard in the potatoes and informed me yesterday morning when I picked her up for church that she had "grappled" us a "mess" of potatoes. This means that she dug gently around the potatoes to dig some out while letting the plant continue to grow and produce more potatoes.

Fresh potatoes are really good no matter how you cook them. They are great just boiled, but I followed up the boiling of these by frying them a little. I like to put a little butter and salt and pepper on mine.

For our lunch Sunday we had "planned over" chicken thief stew (I think my mother thought I was saying Chicken Feet or Beak Stew LOL) from Saturday, broccoli and cheese and these fresh potatoes. It couldn't have been any better if it had been prime rib! I'm ready for more fresh veggies. I love fresh squash, tomatoes, stringbeans and cabbage.

This is my menu for the week:

Saturday: Chicken Thief Stew, chicken salad, spaghetti

Sunday: Fresh potatoes, chicken thief stew, broccoli and cheese

Monday: Hamburger Steak, rice and gravy, green bean dish. (We never ate this last week, because we had so much food left over)

Tuesday: Mexican chicken, corn bread, left over green bean dish

Wednesday: Chili, Pizza

Thursday: Chicken Cacciatore

Friday: undecided :o) Fridays are always up in the air. Its usually just me and my hubby and we may be in the mood for just a banana sandwich.

I will use leftovers from all the above menus for my son and I to take for lunch at work.

6 comments:

Little Penpen said...

Those potatoes look yummy. My mouth is watering. I loved the fact that she grappled you up a mess of potatoes. I don't know if I've ever heard "grappled" before... your mom sounds wonderful.

Alexandra said...

Yum! I'd love to grapple up a mess from my garden, but it's sadly lacking in growth. I need to spend more time on it. My two year old gets into the garden and runs over the tender new veggies.

Terri said...

Home grown potatoes are the best! Your menu looks great for the week but I have to ask, "What is a banana sandwich?"

Anonymous said...

I love to read menu plans, and the thought processes behind them. (And, hmm, I might need to do a crockpot chicken soon, too.)

****
I was sorry to read of your neighbor's passing, but at least it sounds like it was as peaceful as could be. Your son is doing a good job being a neighbor to Edison and his sister.

Rhonda said...

Your mother sounds like a real jewel!
yummy taters too~

HEATHER said...

OH those potatoes look wonderful!!

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...