Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Christmas Stocking Tutorial



Today is Whatcha Working on Wednesday at Leslie's Blog, My Country Home.

I am still madly working on my current quilt, but also found time to make another Christmas Stocking Saturday. I want to make one stocking each week until I get enough for my family done.

Here's how I made mine:

Materials needed:

1/2 yard outer fabric
1/2 yard lining fabric
low-loft quilt batting or polyester fleece
ribbon, cording or plastic ring for hanging stocking

I found a pattern in one of my many Christmas Idea books, which were a gift from a friend. You can easily make your own pattern by drawing it free hand or by tracing around a stocking that you already have. Just be sure to add 1/2 inch for seam allowances. Here's what the pattern looks like:



This what it looks like after I cut the outer pieces leaving the seam allowance:



CUTTING:

Cut two stocking pieces, right sides together, from the outer fabric and two from the lining fabric. BE CAREFUL to put the outer fabric right sides together before cutting or cut each one separately, reversing each one, or they will not go together correctly!



Also cut two stocking pieces from the batting.



1. On the two stockings that I made so far, shown above, I added cuffs to the top. One is pointed and the other is straight across. This is an area that you can use your own imaginations. You could add lace, tassels, buttons or any number of embellishments. Have fun with it!

If you do add an embellishment to the top of the stocking, pin it right side up on the right side of the stocking front. Depending on the embellishment, you may need to put the same thing on the back piece also. Use your own judgment.

2. Baste the batting or fleece to the wrong side of the outer stocking front and back. I did mine using the sewing machine. It goes on very quickly. I just adjust my stitch length to the longest setting and lower the feed dogs to the quilting setting and just zip around the edges.



3. Pin the stocking front to the stocking back, right sides together. Stitch 1/2 inch seam around the stocking, leaving the top open. Stitch again next to the first row of stitching, within the seam allowances. Then trim the seam allowance close to the stitches. Then turn the stocking right side out and lightly press.

4. Pin the lining pieces, right sides together. Then repeat Step 3 above for the lining, EXCEPT leave an opening on the bottom of the foot for turning later. This is just like making a lined pocketbook or tote bag!

5. Place the outer stocking inside the lining, right sides together. Decide which way you want your stocking to hang and then place a ribbon or what ever you choose for hanging the stocking on that side, centering it in the seam line, between the lining and outer fabric pointing down inside between the two. Pin the upper edges, raw edges even and stitch all the way around the top, about a 1/2 inch seam. Then turn the entire stocking right side out through the opening in the lining.

6. Stitch the opening you left in the foot closed on the sewing machine (or by hand). Insert the lining into the stocking, light press the upper edge. You can edge stitch around the upper edge if you want to, but mine were so thick and looked so nice as they were that I didn't do this.

I will be posting my weekly stocking each week, I hope!

Please be sure to check out my new quilting blog: Angel Scraps Quilting

8 comments:

Leslie said...

Debbie,
Thanks for sharing that great tutorial :) Great work!

Have a great day!

Leslie

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and so simple!

marjorie

DarcyLee said...

I was sooo hoping you would put up a tutorial for the stocking. Thanks a bunch.

C. C. said...

Hi Debbie!

I like your stockings! I used to make those as gifts, too...but everyone has one now and I have to think of new things to give! I think that is a special, personal gift and something people can enjoy as a keepsake without having to find a place for it throughout the year.

Have a nice day!

C. C.

Mary L. Briggs said...

Thank you for making this great tutorial, Debbie! I love to make Christmas things and am looking forward to getting started on a few.

I've been trying to get my house in order before I start on some crafts, but I'm not sure how much longer I can wait!

Neabear said...

Thanks for sharing a great tutorial. Good luck making a stocking each week. That is a wonderful gift idea!

Machine cutting said...

Really nice work of art... You are very creative I think. Thanks for sharing your tutorial.

Tori Leslie said...

I have so been meaning to make some new stockings but haven't gotten around to it yet. Thanks for the inspiration! Bravo!

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...