Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My First Apron

My tip for Kitchen Tip Tuesday is "make your own aprons".

While in Tennessee last month my husband bought this pattern for me. We were in a quilt store on the Craft Road near Gatlinburg called "Mountain Stitches by Susan". To save money, I think it would be easy to make your own pattern and I'm sure similar ones are for sale at fabric stores. Of course, there are also many different styles of aprons besides this one. They are useful and would also make great gifts.





I've never made an apron and this pattern looked very cute. Last night after work, I got in the mood to make one. I had some Christmas fabric that I thought would work and this is how it turned out:







This picture shows what the back looks like. Its reversible.





I think this would make a nice apron for gardening, sewing, housework and of course, cooking. For the gardener's apron I would make the bottom pockets wider with 3 or 4 sections and place them lower on the apron. The gardener could put seed packets, hand gardening tools, etc. in there. For housework, it could carry dusting cloths, a spray bottle, sponges, etc.

There are so many possibilities for this pattern. I did have some kinks to work out while making it. Have you ever tried to turn a 100 inch string inside out? I spent an hour of my precious sewing time trying to do this! I threw it in the trash and started over by making the string the same way I make my pocketbook handles, only more narrow. It was SO much easier and faster and looks better!

For more kitchen tips, be sure to go to Tammy's Recipes.

11 comments:

Terri said...

Beautiful! You did a fantastic job. I would go crazy trying to turn the strings inside out.

Janel said...

Oh I just LOVE it!!! I think this would be great in your Etsy Shop...hint,hint,hint :)
Janel

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

It turned out wonderful... I HEART aprons... especially full aprons...

Anonymous said...

That is adorable! I love aprons (especially with pockets). You did a great job.

Chaos Cottage said...

I loved it. I'm especially liking that plaid. You will look very festive with that on baking and cooking for the Christmas season.

Pam

Susan said...

What a cute pattern - you did a great job on it!

Anonymous said...

Your apron turned out really cute! They would make really great gifts. When I make that style of apron, I just use bias binding in coordinating colors.
Coleen

Rhonda said...

Debbie, you will love wearing your apron! I wear one almost all the time I am at home.

great job on your sewing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
How pretty.You always do a great job.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Deb, You did a beautiful job with this new venture! I tried turning ties similar to this one time in my sewing career. After hours of frustration, I resorted to your same tactic. It always worked for me. My mother-in-law made several cobbler aprons for me over the years and they are quite useful.
Yours is a lovely pattern. Was it expensive?

mjw

happeningswithLana said...

Just found your blog tonight and I am enjoying your sewing items. Love the apron.

Glimpses of Home - first quarter of 2021

I made a list of my 2021 goals that I wrote down in the back of my planner.  Its time to review that to see how I am doing! But, here are a ...